Thursday, May 09, 2013

i give up.

last night after teaching, i took the kids to burgerville, because j was off on a work dinner, and wouldn't be home until around 10pm. i got z & s kids' meals with fresh strawberry smoothies. s didn't really need one, but she would've fussed if z had one and she didn't.

20 seconds after i gave it to her, it crashed against the back of the front seat and the top popped off upon impact. strawberry smoothie oozed everywhere. i quickly pulled over into a parking spot and commenced cleaning. i put what was remaining in the cup in the cup holder next to me up front. i started driving home again. a minute into the drive, i decided i didn't want z to get full drinking his whole smoothie, so i reached back to hold it for him until we got home. what happened? it slipped out of my hands, the top popped off, and it splattered all over z's floor. i was in the middle of traffic, and had used up all the cloths on the first accident, so it just had to sit there until we got home. it was not fun to clean up when i got home, and my food was cold by the time i got to eat.

despite beginning antibiotics yesterday, s continued to wake up about every other hour last night. so much for my hopes of a good night's sleep after a crappy one. i think she's just in the habit of waking up now, which means i get to try having her cry it out tonight, which is even less sleep for me than having her wake up, because i have to stay up longer waiting for her to stop crying.

s cried the last time at 6:15am, and so i got up, and found z awake. i told him last night that he needs to start taking responsibility for morning teeth brushing, so he was proud to tell me that he had already brushed his teeth. in my drowsy state, i was a little less than enthusiastic. i practiced with him for 1 minute after he ate some yogurt, and then j came up the stairs, so i headed off to bed. that only meant 30 min or so of sleep, as j usually leaves at 7 when he bikes to work, but every 30 minutes counts.

when j woke me before leaving, it was 7:24, so i guess he did me a favor and drove to work. the kids still had one tv show left to watch, so i told z that i would be on the couch lying down if they needed anything. i know that doesn't win me the mommy of the year award, but the kids were supposedly safe, and i was not 100% asleep.

i got up when i heard the show finishing, and found s freezing because she was all wet. what happened??? z had been squirting water at her, conducting a small indoor water fight, using a syringe that was lying on the counter (with all the medicine being consumed here, they're everywhere). i was so furious!!

after changing s in to dry clothes, z & i had a real practice session, and i was the meanest mommy ever. i don't recommend that sort of practicing, but we actually got a decent amount accomplished. it was so awful.

the rest of the morning continued that way. i had to be sure the kids had a decent amount of food in their stomachs before giving them the antibiotics, but s refused to eat much. food fell on the floor. she put her hands in her oatmeal and then all over me. noses continued to run, and my temper flared. this was the low point of the morning. i meant to just go take a mommy time out in the bathroom, but realized i still needed to shower & get dressed, so i left her in her high chair, playing with play dough. z was there to keep her company. i yelled while running down the stairs, "mommy is going to take a shower. and don't even think about playing with g-d@#$%d water!!!" i never swear in front of them,  but this time it happened. z's ears are all clogged. i'm sure he didn't even hear it anyway, because i've had to repeat every single thing i've said today (also adds to the fun).

eventually, los abuelos arrived, and i took off to do errands i had meant to do yesterday, but i couldn't do due to the sick kids. i went to the bank and tried depositing 13 checks at the atm, but they all got spit back out at me, so i had to go inside to deposit them. when i went to return things at target, i accidentally left one item in the car, so i had to go back out to get it, and then back in the store. next, i went to get some achievement certificates from the teacher store, but only found a small selection, so i made the best decision i could. upon checking out, i asked if that was the whole selection, and they said "oh, no! there are a bunch more right over there!", so i had to stop the transaction and go pick out something else. the whole reason i even went there today is because one of my students was scheduled to play a book recital on saturday, and i needed a certificate to give her. when i returned home, there was a message from the mom asking to reschedule. i could've used that 15 min to go get something to eat.

ugh. nothing this morning is going well. i give up. i'm going to bed. and i'm sure z will wake me up once i fall asleep. 

No comments: