Thursday, August 14, 2008

...

so i saw a dietician today, ordered by the midwives, for the gestational diabetes thing. she gave me a machine for reading blood sugar levels. i have to prick myself 4 times a day - when i first get up in the morning, after breakfast, lunch, & dinner. if the readings are fairly normal after a week, i'll only have to draw it once a day after that. and i have to eat a low carb diet. i'm allowed 3 servings of fruit a day (as snacks), and have to limit breakfast to 30g carbs, & lunch & dinner to 45 g carbs. basically the atkins diet. and i thought dieting was bad when pregnant.
i can't sleep right now, and am starving, but i can't eat anything because it will throw off the readings for the first blood draw - i'm supposed to have fasted for 8 hours. and i don't want to have to do this 4 times a day thing for more than a week. still super mad about it. not happy one bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so sorry, L. That really sucks. Hopefully it will be easy to control and not a big deal for the baby, but the finger-checks every day do suck, no doubt about it :(
If you have any questions, let me know, I'm reading up on gestatational DM right now and just spent a day in diabetes OB clinic so I know people to ask!

Anonymous said...

I second that.
I am with you, hon.
Try to keep your chin up, and hopefully the experts will do right by you.

Thanks for the bd call.
Very sweet
: )

Hang in there -

ace

David Russell said...

Lisa,

I want to say two things:

First: You are a very cute pregnant lady/former student who is making me feel SO old right about now. :-)

and...

Second: Please take good care of yourself in these remaining weeks of pregnancy. You are a dear. I'm concerned about the diabetes, but am sure things will regulate after baby is delivered. My experience has taught me that all the difficult changes are usually temporary and life will get back to more normal sooner than you expect.

Thinking of you!

David Russell