Monday, April 14, 2008

ikea & other bits...

on saturday this past weekend, on our way home from the hike in the gorge, j & i stopped at ikea. i had never been to an ikea before in my life - this was my first trip.

and most likely my last.

it was AWFUL!!! they route you through a path with constant turns & twists that don't make any sense. you have no idea where inside the building you are, and leaving is complicated. i pretty much had a mini panic attack, feeling claustrophobic. i'll never go back. j had been before. he purchased furniture there for college, and then sold the furniture before moving out here. according to him, the furniture didn't hold up too well. he didn't need to go to ikea again, but he went, with me. and he predicted that my reaction would be just as it was.
never again. in fact, it put me in a sour mood for the rest of the day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

...but, fortunately, the day after, a little bit of cake solves all sorts of problems!

nobleviola said...

sorry it sucked! we've found that going on a weekday as they open makes for a nice, quiet time - weekends are absolute hell on wheels! the meatballs are good, though. dania is our new find - we just bought a dining set there and we get it next week!

asil said...

dania...ah dania... we like that place. that's where i've purchased almost all of my furniture while i've lived here in portland. that store i can manage. ikea is just too out of control for me. my mind isn't large enough to actually process it...
congrats on the new dining set!

Anonymous said...

I too hate the pedestrian consumerism of Ikea! I feel like a rate in a maze when I am there, forced to stare at all the things I don't want (or are visually offensive), and surrounded by people who get in my way. It's too crowded. Of course, I've purchased a bookshelf, magnetic knife rack and oatmeal jars there, so I can't complain too much.