Tuesday, September 16, 2008

sleepless.

every night, now, it seems i get up around 4 am & stay up for an hour or two. sleeping gets just too painful. my hips, belly, & everything else just hurts too much to continue lying down, and i'm just not tired. so i get up, surf online a bit, & then get back to work on a teaching project. i have yet to have found a scale book i like for my students, with the fingerings i want, and i'm tired of wasting lesson time marking in fingerings & writing things out. so my big pre-delivery project is creating my own, using the "sibelius" software. it had a bit of a learning curve to it in terms of figuring out how to adapt it to my needs, but i think i have everything ironed out now, after some long searches on chat rooms. it's a rather large project... something like close to 66 pages i need to create, and each page can take up to an hour. it includes one octave & 3 octave scales, arpeggios, 3rds, 6ths, & octaves in each key, major & minor. lots to keep me busy before junior arrives. my hands & arms are already sore from this weekend's typing. fun times. and i didn't help things by peeling & slicing this summer's harvest of apples from our apple tree. they were too wormy & small to prep using the apple peeler/corer/slicer, so i had to do it all by hand. so far it's made 3 fillings worth of apple crisp. i froze the fillings in freezer bags, but molded into 8x8" glass pans, so all i have to do is take them out of the bag & dump on some crisp topping & then bake. ready-made dessert for after baby mothra is here. of course i'd much prefer to eat them now, but that's illegal with my diet, so i'll have to wait. j was super busy this weekend, mainly occupied with trying to fix some problems created by an electrician, installing the infant car seat bases in our cars, assembling a cradle loaned to us by friends, & other random chores. he got a lot done, though, and got to play at beacon rock all sunday. i hope i can sleep soon. my teaching schedule, although lighter than last year, is still enough that i feel i barely have the energy for it, especially with my sleeping. i'm lucky to be able to sleep in in the morning if i DO have really bad insomnia, but it still makes me feel groggy for the rest of the day. the little monster has been really active lately. lots of hiccups, and lots of squirming around.

2 comments:

Allegra said...

when i have the chance, i am going to send you a copy of my "technique bible" which has all of the technical exercises (mainly for LH) that I've found worthy and compiled into a book. It includes my scale series, which is 3 8va scales major/minor, 3rds, 6ths, 8vas and some harmonics. I plan to tweek it a bit this year, but you might get some use out of it.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, that's your body getting you ready for middle of the night feedings to come! Josh used to always wake up at 1 AM and 4 AM. Now it's just 4 AM.